The Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) (“us”, “we” or “our”) operates the Research Facilities Navigator website (the "Site"). This page informs you of the terms and conditions (the “Terms”) that govern the use of the Site and any web services or applications (the “Services”) we offer, as well as your engagement with participating research facilities and their representatives through the Site. By accessing or using this Site and its Services, you agree with these Terms, which we may amend or modify from time to time at our sole discretion. Any amendments or modifications to these Terms shall become effective immediately upon posting. You agree to review these Terms periodically to become aware of any such amendments or modifications and by continuing to use and access the Site you agree to be bound by any amended or modified Terms.
Ownership and usage of content provided on the Site
Materials on this Site were produced, collected, selected, arranged and/or compiled, and are displayed by the CFI for the purpose of helping innovators locate and connect with publicly funded research facilities that are opening their doors to collaborations with industry, academia and government.
You may use and reproduce the materials as follows:
Subject to any restrictions on use specific to any third-party materials about which the CFI provides notice, you may use and reproduce the materials posted on this Site for personal and public, non-commercial purposes, in whole or in part and in any format whatsoever, without charge or further permission from the CFI, provided you do the following:
- Exercise due diligence in ensuring the accuracy of the materials reproduced;
- Attribute the Research Facilities Navigator as the source of the material, and reference the name of the author/owner if it is given in the material or on the Site;
- With respect to all materials subject to copyright owned by the CFI, you include, as applicable, the notice “© Canada Foundation for Innovation, [year material was first published]. Used with permission.”;
- Ensure the reproduction is not represented as an official version of the materials reproduced, nor as having been made, in affiliation with or with the endorsement of the CFI;
- Ensure the material is used and/or reproduced only for lawful purposes and in a manner that does not violate any applicable law or regulation or constitute an academic offence (e.g. plagiarism); and,
- Respect the rights in any third-party materials (e.g. permission is obtained from the rights holder(s) of any third-party materials prior to use or reproduction).
Your use and/or reproduction of any such material constitutes your acceptance of these Terms and conditions.
Unless otherwise specified, you may not reproduce materials on this Site, in whole or in part, for the purposes of commercial redistribution without prior written permission from the CFI, or if the CFI is not the rights holder, from the copyright administrator responsible for that content. To obtain permission to reproduce any content available on the Site, please contact the CFI’s communications team or the academic, government or non-profit institution responsible for that content or the lawful owner of the copyright of such content.
Intellectual property notice
All content, articles, information, images, audio, video and other material posted on the Site or provided through the Services (“Content”) is protected by all relevant copyright, trademark and applicable intellectual property and proprietary rights laws. All Content posted on the Sites remains the valuable intellectual property of the CFI or its licensors and you agree to abide by all copyright notices, information and restrictions contained in or displayed with any Content. Except for the limited rights explicitly granted to you under these Terms, all right, title, interest and intellectual property rights in, to and associated with the Services and the Content are the property of the CFI or its licensors and are protected by applicable trademark, copyright and/or other intellectual property laws.
You further acknowledge and agree that the word marks and associated logo marks of the CFI, including without limitation any logos, slogans or graphics of the Research Facilities Navigator and the Navigator word mark, including within any Services or the Content, are the property of the CFI, or are licensed to the CFI, and may not be reproduced, whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes, without the prior written consent of the CFI, which consent may be withheld by the CFI at its sole discretion.
Access and use of the Site and Services
The following uses of the Navigator website are prohibited unless prior written consent has been given by the CFI:
- using the Navigator’s “Contact this facility” form for any purpose other than to message an institution about its research-related activity;
- automated extraction of data (i.e. “scraping”); and,
- external indexing of published Content by web robots when such use is not authorized.
As a condition of use, you agree not to use the Site or Services for any purposes that are disruptive, unlawful or prohibited, or otherwise negatively impact, the CFI, participating Navigator research facilities and their representatives, or other users. These activities include but are not limited to:
- dishonest, illegal or fraudulent activity;
- hiding your identity, impersonating another person or misrepresenting your affiliation with a person or entity;
- publication of any material that may be characterized as libelous or generally defamatory against any third party, or otherwise damaging to any third party;
- unlawful publication of any material that violates the intellectual property rights of any third party;
- threatening, abusive, obscene or harassing behaviour;
- uploading viruses, worms, or other software agents through or to the Site or Services;
- collecting or harvesting any personally identifiable information from the Site or Services;
- advertising or promoting another website, product, or service or soliciting users for other websites, products or services, whether directly or indirectly; and,
- other interference with the proper operation of the Site or Services or any activities conducted thereon.
The CFI reserves the right to block, suspend, interrupt or otherwise limit, permanently or temporarily, at its sole discretion and without prior notice, access to the Site and Services from users or sources violating these Terms or which pose any risk to the Site or the CFI generally, as determined by the CFI at its sole discretion.
Users should not disclose confidential or proprietary information through the Site or Services. If a user discloses confidential or proprietary information through the Site or Services in violation of this provision, the user acknowledges and agrees that the CFI will be under no obligation to protect or ensure the protection of the confidentiality of such information.
The Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites, services, or other events or activities that are not owned or controlled by the CFI and such links may provide access to content which is offensive, inaccurate, inappropriate or otherwise problematic. Links to such third-party websites are provided solely for the convenience of users and the CFI does not endorse, approve of or control any content accessed through such links and you acknowledge and agree that the CFI will not be responsible or liable to you in any way whatsoever for any content or other materials hosted and served from any site other than the Site.
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT:
- YOUR USE OF THE SITE, THE SERVICES AND THE CONTENT IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SITE, THE SERVICES AND THE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED BY THE CFI ON AN “AS IS,” “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, AND WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, ACCURACY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT, WHETHER ARISING OUT OF STATUTE, IN LAW OR FROM A COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OR TRADE.
- THE CFI MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, THAT (I) THE SITE, SERVICES OR CONTENT WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (II) THE SITE, SERVICES OR CONTENT WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (III) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM YOUR USE OF THE SITE, SERVICES OR CONTENT WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, OR (IV) THE QUALITY OF ANY SERVICES, CONTENT, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SITE, THE SERVICES OR THE CONTENT WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS.
- ANY CONTENT OR OTHER MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR THE SERVICES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR SYSTEMS, EQUIPMENT OR DATA, INCLUDING LOSS OF DATA, THAT RESULTS FROM SUCH DOWNLOADS OR ACCESS.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CFI OR ITS LICENSORS OR ANY THIRD-PARTY BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER USER FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT, THE SERVICES OR CONTENT, OR ITS OR THEIR NON-AVAILABILITY, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES, LOSS OF DATA OR LOSS OF GOODWILL, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
You acknowledge and agree that your use of the Site, Content and Services is governed by the Privacy Act, the laws of the Province of Ontario and the federal laws of Canada applicable therein. You and the CFI agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts located within the City of Ottawa in the Province of Ontario.
You acknowledge and agree that these Terms govern your use of the Site, the Services and the Content, superseding any prior agreements or understanding between you and the CFI. The failure on the part of the CFI to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties agree that notwithstanding such finding, the court should strive to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in these Terms, and the other provisions of these Terms shall remain in full force and effect.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.